The 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology
The 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology (GW-ICC), Asia Pacific Heart Congress 2016 & International Congress Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation 2016 was successfully held from October 13th to 16th at the China National Convention Center (CNCC), Beijing, China. Registration for this year's event increased by 10% with over 17,000 people registering for the conference. Attendees from 32 different societies including 24 overseas societies attended 67 academic forums and 22 joint forums with 2107 presentations made by some outstanding speakers.
Notable contributions to the opening ceremony included:
- Professor Longde Wang, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and Chairman of the Chinese Preventive Medicine Association, who delivered a speech on "Prevention of Chronic Diseases; Healthy China"
- Professor Junbo Ge, a member of the Chinese Academy of Science and Director of the Shanghai Cardiology Research Institute, who made a speech on the fourth revolution in Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), "The Present and Future of Biodegradable Vascular Scaffold (BVS)"
- Professor Yaling Han, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and Director of the Institute of cardiology research of the People's Liberation Army of China, presented a speech on evidence based medicine in China and guideline consensus on antithrombotic therapy in CHD
- Professor Yun Zhang, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and Dean of Shangdong University Medical School, made a speech on the Mendelian randomization approach
- Professor Jian Zhuang, Dean of Guangdong Province People's Hospital, delivered a speech on the progress of congenital heart disease surgery in China Excellent contributions from speakers from outside China included:
- Professor Richard A. Chazal, President of the American College of Cardiology (ACC), who spoke about the future of Cardiology in the next fifty years.
- Professor Mark A. Creager, former President of the American Heart Association (AHA) spoke on the topic of cardiac repair after injury.
- Professor Fausto J. Pinto, the former President of European Society of Cardiology (ESC) delivered a talk on improving guideline implementation: the role of scientific societies.
- Professor David A. Wood, the President elect of the World Heart Federation, made a speech on the prevention of heart attacks and stroke.
- Professor Joseph A. Hill, editor-in-chief of Circulation made a speech on heart failure: the path ahead.
- Professor Stephen W. MacMahon, the co-founder of the George institute, made a speech on Heart disease: China's greatest health challenge in the 21st century.
One of the most successful events at the conference was a nonstop surgery teaching demonstration which ran from October 14th through October 15th. 13 Chinese Cardiology departments and two overseas cardiology departments showcased 59 different operations covering multiple facets of surgery on coronary artery intervention, structural heart disease, electrophysiology and many others.
Another highly successful event was "The Live Show" organized by "Heart Online" which invited more than 98 top experts to talk about 30 hot topics such as internet medicine, heart rehabilitation, dialogue between China and the US, strategy of acute coronary syndrome antithrombotic therapy; green electrophysiology, sudden cardiac death, TAVR in China: present and future. "Today's Flash", which was published for four consecutive days at the conference delivered first hand highlights and has become an indispensable resource for attendees.
From 2017, GW-ICC will implement a rotating presidency. The Chairman of the 28th GW-ICC was announced as Professor Yaling Han, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and Director of the Institute of cardiology research of the People's Liberation Army of China. The Chairman for the 29th GW-ICC in 2018 was also announced and will be Professor Jian Zhang of Fu Wai Hospital and the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences.
The 28th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology (GW-ICC) will be held on Oct 12, 2017.