European Lung Cancer Congress 2019: A collaborative effort to fight lung cancer
European Lung Cancer Congress (ELCC 2019), 10-13 April 2019, Geneva, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland, 28 March 2019 – Participants from across the world will meet in Geneva at the European Lung Cancer Congress (ELCC 2019), (1) 10-13 April 2019, to learn about and discuss the latest research in the field of lung cancer and other thoracic malignancies.
The Congress programme (2) will address relevant topics for medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, thoracic surgeons, respiratory physicians, pneumologists, interventional radiologists and pathologists.
- Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
- o Management and treatment options for both early and advanced stage disease
o The role of radiotherapy and the advances in surgery
- Small cell lung cancer (SCLC): Treatment challenges and a glimpse into the development of new targets
- Mesothelioma: Epidemiology, treatment of local disease, novel targets, new therapeutic strategies and future perspectives for a difficult disease with a heavy social burden
- Immunotherapy: Its future for the treatment of the advanced disease and the importance of biomarker development
- Early detection, screening and prevention of lung cancer
- Implementation of personalised lung cancer care in clinical routine and new paradigms in quality of life and care
- Accessibility and sustainability of lung cancer care
- Microbiome in cancer immunotherapy (3) by Laurence Zitvogel on Thursday 11 April at 14.10
- A decade of targeting EGFR (4) by Tony S.K. Mok on Friday 12 April at 12:10
- Overcoming resistance to immune checkpoint inhibitors (5) by Wolf-Herve Fridman on Saturday 13 April at 11:30
Latest research results
More than 200 studies will be shared with the audience in different formats (oral or poster presentations) and published online as a supplement of Annals of Oncology. (6)
The following press releases will be issued:
- “Studies give new insights on immunotherapy in elderly patients with advanced NSCLC” – Abstracts 103O_PR 169P_PR under embargo until Wednesday, 10 April 2019 at 00:05 CEST (Central European Summer Time)
- “Maintenance immunotherapy fails to improve survival in extensive small cell lung cancer” – Abstract LBA1_PR under embargo until Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 14:45 CEST (Central European Summer Time)
Heine H. Hansen Award 2019
Prof. Francoise Mornex will be presented the Heine H. Hansen Award 2019 (7) for her special contribution in defining combined chemoradiation strategies in lung cancer, including multimodality treatment, novel chemoradiation regimens, and innovative radiotherapy techniques. During the opening session, (8) Prof. Mornex will deliver a keynote lecture entitled “The HHH model applied to Radiotherapy: Honour the past, evaluate the present and stimulate the future”.
The ELCC organisers welcome media interested in obtaining information and reporting on cancer issues.
Registration is free to bona fide journalists on presentation of a letter of assignment and a valid press card.
Media representatives are required to observe and abide by the ELCC Media Policy. (9)
To register as press, please fill out the media registration form. (10)
We look forward to welcoming you in Geneva!
30 Route Francois-Peyrot
1218 Le Grand-Saconnex
For further information please contact:
ELCC Press Office – [email protected]
1 ELCC 2019 – European Lung Cancer Congress: https:/
2 ELCC 2019: Programme : https:/
3 Microbiome in cancer immunotherapy: https:/
4 A decade of targeting EGFR: https:/
5 Overcoming resistance to immune checkpoint inhibitors: https:/
6 Annals of Oncology: the official scientific journal of ESMO: https:/
7 Francoise Mornex is First Female Recipient of Heine H. Hansen Award: https:/
8 Opening Session: https:/
9 ELCC Media Policy: https:/
10 Media registration form: http://esmo.
The ELCC Congress brings together some of the most important organisations in the field of thoracic oncology, with the scope of disseminating education through a multidisciplinary approach and improve the practice of lung cancer specialists worldwide. The ELCC Congress is organised by ESMO (European Society for Medical Oncology) and the IASLC (International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer), along with their partner societies ESTRO (European Society for Radiotherapy & Oncology), ESTS (European Society for Thoracic Surgeons) and ETOP (European Thoracic Oncology Platform).
Official Congress Hashtag: #ELCC19
ESMO Press Office